When working with pottery, sometimes you want to take this to the next level. That’s why a sculpting wheel for pottery is probably one of your best options. You may wonder why as well, and here, we’ll talk about it.
We’re going to explore what the benefits of a sculpting wheel for pottery are, along with one of the best on the market to help you get started with this.
So what is it?
Sculpting wheels are essentially like a basic pottery wheel that doesn’t involve requiring an electric motor, or even a foot pedal to power this wheel. It kind of acts like a lazy Susan, and it can be used for different activities.
Some of these activities include the following:
- Shaping pottery
- Handling pottery so it doesn’t smear
- Basic glazing
- Basic decorating tasks
This is something I recommend every studio to have, and ultimately, it can help make you a better potter. This can even be good for basic hand-built pottery as well.
With hand-building pottery, some of the cool things you can do with one of these include the following:
- Build walls
- Attach coils
- Pinch the walls to put them together
- Even out anything that isn’t together
They are great because it allows you to fully see everything that you need to do with the pottery piece, allowing for seamless creation.
Do they have to be Expensive
A big factor in this is the cost. The truth is, you’re getting what you paid for with a piece like this.
However, you should look for sculpting wheels that fit certain criteria, including the following:
- Can hold heavier amounts of clay
- Have a base that’s super secure
- Can be easily manipulated
- Can be easily accessed from different angles
Pottery decoration and other aspects rely on this, and you’ll want something that best fits your needs. Sometimes, you may need to splurge on this, but honestly, you can spend about 50 bucks and get a good sculpting wheel, especially if you’re not looking for something super immersive.
Can they be Used at Any Skill Level?
Yes, they can be, and even veteran potters can use this to help with decorative aspects. Sculpting wheels are great for potters of all skill levels, especially if you want to try new and complicated techniques.
Some of the ways this helps beginners include the following:
- They can get used to using a wheel
- They are easy to manipulate
- They can help if you’re trying to create more rounded shapes
- They are good for decorating and patterns
- They are perfect for making the transition from hand-built to other pottery without spending a ton of money on an expensive wheel
For the potters who are more of the veteran types, this is also a great option for you to try out, simply because there are a lot of great aspects you can cash out on, including the following:
- You can use this for complex decorating
- They’re perfect for intricate patterning
- They are easy to help with angled pieces
- They tend to help with centering work even better
- Once you’ve thrown it, you can then use this to help perfect this
Whether you’re a green potter who is just now getting used to making shapes or a veteran with a ton of experience, a sculpting wheel is probably one of your best options, and in my opinion, definitely worth it.
The Ideal Wheel: The US Art Supply Sculpting Wheel—Heavy Duty All Metal Construction & Turntable with Ball Bearings
If you’re someone who sculpts, pants or decorated, this is the perfect item for you. This isn’t just a sculpting wheel, it’s a wheel that can be used for virtually any type of artistic activity, and in my opinion, is the perfect choice for your decorating needs.
It has a lot of features that many other pottery sculpting wheels may not have, including the following:
- The base and top are all high grade and heavy duty
- It’s made from indestructible heavy cast metal that’s joined with heavy duty ball bearings
- Has a super easy spinning motion that can hold up to 50 pounds of clay easily
The base of this is solid, and it won’t skid, so you can firmly work with the clay that you have at this work station. It’s super efficient to use, and the strength alone gives you a means to truly spin and do what you feel is right.
The wheel top is definitely one of the best options out there, and it’s made for sculpting in mind. Some of the key features include the following:
- Concentric circles that allow for easy centering
- A weighted rim to help improve momentum as you spin it
- Can be used for basic throwing pottery
- It is tall enough so that you can get the hand beneath the very top of this and rotate the work
But, the coolest thing about this is that it’s super light, only about 10 pounds, but it packs a lot of power.
This is probably the ideal sculpting wheel, and if you’re considering buying one of these, then you should pick it up. You can buy this awesome sculpting wheel from Amazon.
Sculpting wheels are A Lifesaver
If you’re looking to get better at pottery on all different fronts, then you should definitely consider the option of investing in a sculpting wheel. They aren’t just good for sculpting but decorating, molding, or whatever it is that you may need.
Whether you’re just learning pottery or someone who’s been in the business for a long time, a sculpting wheel is a perfect way to make your pottery even better. Form giant building, to even just adding intricate details, this is definitely a pottery tool that’s worth every penny put in.